Tuesday 14 December 2010

Bright Lights, Big Cities.

One of the reasons I am so lucky to be here in Upstate New York is that it is relatively easy to get to 2 of the best (in my opinion) cities in the USA, New York and Boston. I very much prefer city life to country life and have visited both these cities twice each already, with more visits planned in the future!






Boston has a very European feel to it. It is a city on a harbour (like Hull!) and has a classy and refined air. The main tourist area is Quincey Market, a huge foot court where you can get literally anything your heart desires to eat. Last time we were there was for breakfast, I had a fry up and Sian had Clam Chowder in a bread bowl (yes - for breakfast!) Quincey market is surrounded by the usual American clothes shops, Americal Eagle Outfitters, Loft, The Gap, Aeropostal etc. There is a lovely big park in the centre of Boston called Boston Common and more upscale shops on Newbury Street like Chanel (great for window shopping but not much else!)
Top 3 Boston Moments
  • Taking a 'Duck Boat' Tour around Boston, learning all about the history of the American Revolution and ending with a big splash down in Boston Harbour!
  • Having a cold pint 'Where everybody knows your name..' Yes, Cheers bar! I was a huge fan of Cheers when I was a girl watching on Channel 4 every Friday night and never once thinking I would one day visit myself.
  • Going to a FONDUE restaurant. "What would you like for dinner Sarah?" "A big pot of melted cheese please." "No problem at all!"




New York City. Iconic. Two of my most favourite things are SATC tv programme and Woody Allen films. NYC did not let me down. It is unlike any other city I have visited. Whereas Boston is great for shopping, New York is for wandering roung gawping and screaming OMG every time you round a corner and stumble on another major landmark, The Empire State Building, The Rockerfeller Centre, Times Square..... If I was single, childless and rich I would move there in a heartbeat. And lucky me, for the next 6 months it is a 2 hour train ride away. Sian and I are returning during the Christmas holidays to spend her Christmas money and I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Top 3 NYC Moments
  • Strolling round Greenwich Village on a perfect, sunny Sunday morning and recreating the infamous 'Freewheeling Bob Dylan' album cover with Dad and Ron
  • Crossing the Brooklyn bridge at night on the top of a double decker bus and seeing Manhattan in all its illuminated glory.
  • Top of the Empire State Building with Mum and Sian - an ambition achieved for all 3 generations!

1 comment:

  1. love the comments and agree with you about the cities, you must get to Montreal as that has a very french feel and the old town seems very european. I had better start saving for our return to NY to celebrate Sians 16th birthday!

    ReplyDelete