Sunday 6 February 2011

In The Bleak Mid-Winter....







I've not been updating much recently as not much has been going on!! January / February are always a quiet time but throw in massive amounts of snow and I feel like I am hibernating! There have been a few interesting moments though..
  • President Obama visited Schenectady to give a talk at General Electric as they are making some kind of eco energy. I was teaching all day but it was still exciting for the kids. The Principal got a special invitation to meet him when her got off Air Force One, with a couple of the older kids from the school. That must have been amazing.


  • Me and Ron have gone on a diet. The food situation had become ridiculous, it's not as if there is any American food that we even really like. We were being slowly brainwashed by the fast food adverts that are constantly on tv. Why bother stuffing your food that doesn't actually taste good?? Hopefully we can lose loads and return to the UK nice and slim and ready to east our own bodyweight in fish and chips, Cadbury's chocolate, nice cheese (Halloumi cheese doesn't seem to exist in NY state!) So far we are both down a good 10 pounds each. RESULT!!


  • Frog update - the frogs, millipedes and crabs from my classroom have been rehoused, with 3 of the frogs coming to live with us! Just don't ask me what I'm going to do with them when we go back to the UK!!


  • The Hull Daily Mail asked me to write 200 words on my stay so far and send them a picture of me "teaching". I sent off the above photo so keep your eye out for it in the paper. They have interviewed Meredith as well.

The boss is coming to stay on Friday so that should be the catalyst for us crawling out of our hibernation cave! Unless it is still snowing. In which case I shall crawl back in and stay there till April.

1 comment:

  1. I think if you were living in a city you would have access to stuff like Halloumi Cheese. There must be a large Greek ex pat community. Have you tried looking online? I know what you mean about hibernation we have had acouple of reasonably mild sunny days and although it's been quite windy it's been great to go out in shoes not boots.

    ReplyDelete