Thursday 5 August 2010

Washington Fulbright Orientation











Well this is now our 4th day in Washington and everything has been fantastic! The flight was ok. 8 hours is a long time on a plane but I watched a good film and ate up everything they put in front of me. Ron got very cross when he thought he had lost his glasses then excited when he 'coincidentaly' found another pair under his seat. He swore they weren't his even when shown photographic evidence. Classic Ron!!
The hotel we are staying at is very posh. We have our own bathrobes. In the day Ron and I go to meetings and lectures some of which are very interesting and informative. Sian has been sitting in the hotel room eating peanut butter based chocolate and drinking 'soda'.
The weather here is sooooooooo hot. Not sunny but the heat hits you when you step outside like opening an oven door. Everywhere inside has air con so we are very comfortable in the hotel.
Tuesday afternoon we had a bus trip round Washington. This has been the highlight for me so far (apart from meeting Meredith!!). We saw The White House, Lincon Memorial and loads of other cool stuff. The photos show us taking turns wearing a jumper, not because we were cold, but to tease my brother Joe as it is his favourite jumper and he had no idea we had it. Jumper liberation!
Finally I have been spending lots of time with Meredith and she is lovely. I know she will have a great time in Hull this year and that everyone will love showing her round. We went out for dinner last night in an area of Washington called Georgetown. It is a beautiful area, it reminded Ron and I of Beverley!! I finished last night eating a 'twinkie' in bed. I have wanted to try a 'twinkie' since i first read about them in books as a little girl. They are rank!!

No comments:

Post a Comment