Saturday 9 October 2010

Dress Down Friday

So at Central Park International Magnet School, every Friday staff are allowed to wear casual clothes. Most teachers wear jeans and t shirts on a Friday. When I asked why I was told it's because it is to celebrate the fact it is Friday!! What an amazing idea. In the UK the only time teachers can wear jeans is if we are raising money for charity. It's just a little idea that goes towards making work a nice place to be!
The children don't ever wear uniform of course! I thought this was going to be an 'issue' as I am used to a strict uniform policy but it's funny how quickly I have adapted! The children wear sensible, weather appropriate, comfortable clothing. It is not ever an issue or something that impacts badly on learning.
I have always been very pro uniform but I think my mind is being changed. There is no status for the kids over labels. They never discuss what each other is wearing as they are used to seeing each other in 'normal' clothes. Non uniform days in the UK are totally awful as the kids are really unsettled and there are always some children being teased over their clothes. I have never seen that happen here.
I definitely don't miss the 'arguments' I used to have every morning with the kids in the UK (especially the older boys) collecting in jewelry, forcing them into spare school jumpers and covering up non uniform t shirts was never conducive to a quiet productive start to the morning!!

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought uniforms were inherited from our fee paying schools. Most European countries don't have uniforms and they have generally civilised populations. It's part of the awful educational snobbery which cripples our country.

    ReplyDelete