Thursday 21 October 2010

You say tomato....

With the daily routine of 'get up, work, tea, bed' firmly in place I can sometimes forget I am in a different country, on a different continent! One thing that gives me an instant reminder is the pronunciation of some words. My favourite at the moment is telling the kids to say tomato (they pronounce the middle a 'ay' as in 'say'.) They think it's hilarious as well and enjoy taking me off asking for some yogurt (they say Yo-gurt with the stress on YO rather than YOG. They have been confused recently in Maths as we study data handling (they call it dar-ta!!)

One pronunciation that annoys me though comes from the TV. There is a Hyundai advert which specifically explains how to pronounce the word "Hyundai like Sunday"!! Surely this isn't right? Can any Koreans reading please let me know!!

1 comment:

  1. ai on the end of the word does make the ay sound doesn't it? Have you found yourself using any American terms yet. While I was in Scotland I found myself saying wee I had just been talking to someone with a strong local accent!!

    ReplyDelete