Friday 10 June 2011

Maine and Mr Alfie Kohn.











































I flew straight from Chicago to Portland, Maine. I say 'straight' but actually *shame* I missed my first flight. How did this happen? I am normally the person who arrives 2 hours early. Unfortunately I had not reckoned on Chicago rush hour and was stuck at the airport for 4 hours until I managed to get another flight!


Drama over, Portland is a fantastic city. It reminded me of Whitby, Bridlington etc. I was beside myself with excitement to find actual streets with shops, bars, restaurants. Not a strip mall in sight! The sound of seagulls also made me feel very much at home. I was all by myself in Maine. I have never stayed anywhere alone before and it was a strange experience, especially eating alone! The first night I tracked down a Maine lobster and it was FANTASTIC although not having anyone to share the fun with gave me new found respect for the majority of the Fulbrighters who have been alone for the whole year! The reason for my stay was the incredibly generous Fulbright exchange people had given me the opportunity for 'Professional Development'. This could be whatever I wanted (within limits - no Disneyland- not that I'd want to!) I had been to some training in the UK based on the writings of Alfie Kohn. An American educationalist, speaker and author. He is quite controversial. He is in favor of 'Progressive' schools. These would be schools that abandon 'official' testing in favor of teacher assessment, that do not give homework or grade children and that do not reward children with stickers or prizes. He believes rewards have to be intrinsic. That we should want to do something for the good of others instead of to get something for ourselves - even just praise. When I first heard some of his ideas I was very anti. I have always been very generous with praise and rewards, in fact I have always followed the 'Assertive Discipline' technique of reward good behavior, ignore bad behavior - as much as possible and found it to be very successful. However, in the UK I tried some of his techniques out with my Kindergarten class and they did work. Children did not stop doing the 'right' thing just because they were not getting a sticker for it. When I found out Alfie Kohn was giving a teacher's workshop in Maine, I had to go! The workshop was fantastic. A lot of the teachers there became very emotional as what he says is common sense - missing in so many school administrations. Children do not thrive through testing and labeling but through a rich and creative curriculum, tailored to their interests. It was an honor and a privilege to meet the man in person and I will be trying to implement his ideas throughout the rest of my career. (I am also incredibly lucky to work in a school in the UK where 'progressive' ideas are welcomed and supported).


The workshop was held in a Quaker school and I contacted the Principal and spent the morning in the school. What an incredible place. The Quaker principles are very similar to Alfie Kohn's writings. The teachers are all called by their first names. They are there to facilitate the children's learning. The school is on an island and the children spend a considerable amount of time outdoors. This really was principles into practice. The school had a joyous and calm quality. The children were respectful and intelligent. They were not all Quakers by any means but by being an 'independent' school, they were not held so rigorously to the state requirements. The kindergarten looked a lot like ours (The Parks) with natural furniture and child led activities. The difference being these child led activities could be a driftwood collecting search on the beach!


I loved the workshop, loved the school and loved Maine. Yet again, I am so grateful to Fulbright for these opportunities and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment